Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Waiheke Island, New Zealand


G'Day all. After a loooong flight from Hawaii, which included a stop in beautiful Fiji, where we never left the airport, we have arrived in New Zealand!

Our current location is lovely Waiheke Island, a 35 minute ferry ride into the Hauraki Gulf off the coast of Auckland. It is late spring here--headed for the Summer Solstice, and people are gearing up for summer. School ends in two weeks and the beaches are calling. As you can see, Debbie and I have been taking advantage of the warm weather and long days, along with our new friends.

The people here are laid back and the island is great. We've been staying with a family doing some landscaping and child care in exchange for room and board. So far, we've managed to avoid death and destruction while running, walking, and driving around the island, even though all the people who live here insist on driving on the wrong side of the road.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Phil and Aunt Debbie! I hope you guys are having an awesome time. I miss you guys soo much!! Love, Maggie

Anonymous said...

It's a little tough seeing the two of you on the beach when we're settling in for an ice storm!! (Dare I say Snow day???) Enjoy!!
Love, Vin and Jean

Anonymous said...

Holy islands! Your photos are unbelievable. We just got dumped on for the first time (well, for the first time down here in old Amherst, anyway) and I wish you were here to ride with me, Debbie.

I miss you, but I'm glad to see you're having fun in the sun, even though I think those boys might be a little young for you.

Love,
Arielle